Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Slow Life

A few months ago, when I was on my book-buying binge, I was browsing through lifestyle non-fiction and came across this great book.  "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano is not just a diet book.  It's a lifestyle guide.  Consisting of enjoying delicious food while learning how to compensate for higher calorie delicacies from earlier is an excellent plan for someone who loves food.  Also, training yourself to eat slower and truly enjoy the food that is in your mouth is an outstanding piece of knowledge.  So often we just shove food in our mouths and never really taste it.  Not only that, but along with the shoving comes low quality junk food.  Mireille also discusses enjoyment in exercise, taking long walks and paying attention to the world around you.  To sum it up--slow down and enjoy life.

When I lived in Europe, life was much slower.  People worked fewer hours, walked everywhere and relied upon the public transportation schedule.  Walking to the post office to pick up a package, purchasing flour at the grocery store to bake bread and depositing a check at the bank was considered a full day.  I revel in this lifestyle.  Once I returned, my general pace slowed down.  Some may complain that I'm simply too slow, but I refuse to make myself go any faster.  I want to enjoy my time on Earth.  There is no reason to wear myself out when it isn't necessary.

This has made me think about my working life once I get out of school.  I don't want to work more than is necessary.  Not to say that I'm lazy, but I don't want to spend my entire life working to buy more things instead of simply enjoying time.  When I come to the end of my life, I don't want to regret the things I didn't do so I could continue working to buy things.  I doubt when I die I will care if I purchased all the beautiful clothes I could want.  There are many things I want to have time for, such as building my crafting business, reading, cooking superb meals and keeping my house clean.  When I become overwhelmed with work and school, these things fall to the wayside.  Once I can comfortably make ends meet, that is when I will stop.  I need do no more.  For as long as the bills are paid and spend time on things I like, that is when I'm happy.

Stop.  Look around.  Enjoy your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!