Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I love the library

It has been years since I've owned a library card.  When I lived in Twin Falls, I had one but somehow wracked up a $98 bill from failing to return a book and never went back.  I realized that with the amount of things I've been trying to learn how to do and how many books I want to read, I should probably buck up and get one for the local public library.

I discovered that we have a decent-sized collection of books, movies and music in town.  And on top of that, it's a three minute walk to get there!  Not only am I saving myself a huge amount of money in book investments, but I'm also reducing the amount of consumerism involved in the book business.  While I love owning books of my own, there are very few that I read more than once or twice unless they're reference books.  It's an environmentally responsible decision to choose book-sharing.

I encourage everyone who loves books to go down to their local library and sign up for a card!  After all..

"Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!" --Arthur

4 comments:

  1. Our library system does not have late fees. They said is actually costs them more in administrative costs to assess late fees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! I'm terrible at returning things on time sometimes, which is why I choose not to rent dvd's. I think the only reason they charge for it is so they will get their books and movies back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to the library! My family has at least 50-75 things checked out at any time. We've researched gardening, organic living, schooling, checked out movies for the kids (and thus avoid regular television programming for the most part with them), and found tons of great fiction books.

    How cool that your library is such a quick walk from your home! Does your library have a way to check due dates and renew online? If so, that would be an easy way to make sure you don't return things late. Some libraries even offer an e-mail service to remind you when things are due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, that's exactly how my family was when I was growing up! Our library does in fact have an online account system, which makes everything really awesome! I spent a good hour yesterday requesting holds on a bunch of books within the county. It's so great!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!