Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Flu and snow - A perfect combo for March 1st

Today I'm stuck home with the flu and over a foot of snow.

That's right.  Yesterday afternoon while I was sewing a tote bag for Christine ( a smaller, neater version of the on I made for myself) and I was suddenly hit by the body aches.  Eventually after realizing it wasn't just my imagination, as I had started a fever, I called in sick, took a bath and went to bed.  And when I woke up this morning, not only was I still incredibly ill but there was snow--everywhere!


I'm happy to be stuck indoors today, as tromping through the stormy area to school can become a little treacherous.

Here are some natural home remedy resources I've found to treat flu symptoms:
1.  WebMD has some excellent remedies
2.  Organic Nutrition provides a little more information about using vitamins and herbal supplements

Essentials for fighting the flu:
1.  Fluids, fluids, fluids - You lose a lot of fluids when you're sick, either from fighting a fever, sneezing and coughing.  Replenish your body's fluid resource by drinking water, tea or broth.  As difficult as it may seem to down liquids when you feel terrible, it will help.
2.  Garlic - This one isn't so well known.  Garlic has been known to have anti-viral properties, and while this is better done before you actually get sick, it could help your immune system and shorten the length of your cold or flu.
3.  Vitamin C - Known to help boost your immune system, take in some extra Vitamin C if you feel you're getting a little scratchy throat.  You can get Vitamin C through citrus fruit and juice if you don't feel comfortable taking a supplement.
4.  Take a bath - Add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your bath with a cup of epsom salts and soak for 20 minutes or more.  This will ease your aches, which is one of the most obnoxious symptoms of the flu.

I hope someone finds this helpful!  Everyone keep well :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I miss snow, I live in FL but I'm from Russia. And one thing that I miss is snow.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!