Thursday, May 3, 2012

Routines

I've finally gotten into a little routine of how my days and weeks go.  I don't like everything to be exactly the same day in and day out, but it is nice to feels some sense of stability.

One thing that has really helped is getting on a housekeeping schedule.  This took some time to start establishing because at first I was barely cleaning since there was nothing to clean and then I was unpacking and whatnot.  My favorite thing about Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House is the idea of keeping up with everything. 

Due to full time job and full time school, I have been a "clean it when it gets dirty" kind of housekeeper.  But now that I have the time to establish better skills, I'm working hard to become a "clean it before it gets dirty" person.  I read a lot of blogs from stay-at-home mom's, but I always feel like things maybe work a little differently for me because I don't have any children, just because there aren't very many people in our home.  

So I have a schedule.  Not one that's written in stone, but one that helps things stay clean.  It goes something like this:




These are things that absolutely must be done every day, or they pile up and become overwhelming.





Sometimes these things need to be switched out with other days of the week in case something doesn't work, but this tends to be the schedule I follow.  The bathrooms and the kitchen are the most time consuming (and the most tiring) so I get those out of the way at the beginning of the week.  Over the weekend, things slip a little since we're usually out exploring and Monday comes with a bit of a mess to tidy up.  The bedroom and the living room are generally tidy as long as things get put away regularly so they just require washing sheets and dusting.

What do you do to keep up on housework?

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to follow this schedule to keep my apartment from looking like a tornado's just whipped through it. Currently, however, I'm not even a "clean it when it gets dirty" housekeeper. I'm a "clean it out of sheer and utter desperation" housekeeper. ;)

    Also, I think the new blog layout is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well considering you have TWO jobs and I have none.... I better be able to keep my apartment clean ;). I certainly won't judge, my housekeeping skills are shoddy at best. I'm just doing what I can right now.

    And thank you, I like the new layout, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!