Saturday, May 19, 2012

English muffins

Yesterday, I made a nice big batch of english muffins.  Erik usually eats bagels for breakfast, but this is something I can make and it's a little less calorie dense.  




It took me a while to find a good recipe.  My More-With-Less is missing, which is where I usually get the recipe and out of all the other cookbooks I have, there wasn't a single english muffin recipe in any one.  The recipe below is inspired by one from All Recipes that I adapted to my own likes.




English Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar + 1/2 teaspoon
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in 2 teaspoons sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size.
  3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
  4. Heat greased griddle. Carefully place english muffins on griddle 2-4 at a time, depending on griddle size.  Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium-low to medium heat.  You want to make sure the inside gets cooked, as well as the outside so slow cooking is best. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. Split and toast when ready to eat.

3 comments:

  1. Nice... I've wondered about making english muffins, but have never given them a try.
    What?? Your More With Less cookbook didn't make it across the water? I could send you another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's strange that it said it was from G&#39ma. Anyways you knew it was G'ma. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made an account on here when I started the blog, because it says "G'ma" is one of my followers :).
    I don't know what happened to my More with Less cookbook, but a new one would be nice :). We have a few items that seemed to have entered the blackhole of moving.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!