Saturday, November 27, 2010

I will not be a Christmas crazy-pants. I will not be a Christmas crazy pants. I will not be..

As we are now past the Thanksgiving holiday and moving head-long into Christmas, I have allowed myself to pull out the tree, hang up the lights and start crafting other decorations, cookies and enjoy the peppermint schnapps.

Christmas is a fun time to listen to pretty music and eat way too much.  To enjoy family and friends at various holiday parties.  To love life.

But why in the world is it now?  Why do we put so much into the Christmas holiday?  Money, time, effort, even emotions are put into this holiday bank and we often end up depositing way more than we have.  The goal is usually to enjoy ourselves and spend time with people we care about, but in the end we can end up feeling more empty, stressed out and lonely than we did in the beginning.

What we must remember is to celebrate in simplicity.  Do so within your means.  I am no Scrooge.  I enjoy Christmas as much as the next person.  But it is so important to really treasure each and every moment you spend during the holiday season.  We must remind ourselves of the real reasons we do what we do and learn how to make it more meaningful instead of just about stuff.  Paring down the activities, the shopping and cooking will not be the end of the world.  Your friends will not hate you for giving them a handmade card with a special recipe inside.  It truly is the thought that counts.

As cliche as it sounds, remember the spirit of Christmas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!