Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Be Present

‎"This cycle of reactivity is called suffering. The task of our practice is to transform such reactivity and the greed, hatred, and delusion that fuel it. It is to realize that it is possible to experience pain without suffering, without passing on the pain to ourselves or others.” 

—From Donald Rothberg, "Present Moment, Urgent Moment" (“Tricycle” magazine, Fall 2004)

In studying Buddhism during Summer school, I am taking in more than just what is important for my career.  This is what is important for life. It is a deep and time consuming class, but forever worth it.

I have discovered that my problems are dwelling in the suffering. 

And not just suffering of the present but suffering in the past and the future.

I suffer through memories.

I suffer through anticipated pain.

Understanding of what it truly means to "be present" is more than just a Buddhism cliché.  It is essential to this psychological religion.  For one cannot reach a place of contentment and peace if one is dwelling in moments of what has been nor what will be.

Just be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!