Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Repurposing mason

I am obsessed with saving glass jars.

And my husband absolutely cannot stand it.  The most recent jars I added to the collection I had to rescue out of the trash bin because they had ickies inside.  "But I can USE it!" is usually my reply to whatever else might be said about the poor jar.  Sanitized and happy, it gets stashed away in the cupboard set aside specially for my finds.

I'm often told that my hoarding is reminiscent of my great grandma, whom we lived with for several years when I was a child.  A woman of the Great Depression, she saved e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.  At seven years old, it seemed strange to save yogurt containers, clothespins and pieces of wrapping paper.  But now at a point in my life when I want to learn to reuse, repurpose and recycle, returning to the habits my great grandma developed doesn't seem odd at all.  In fact, it's smart.

Those pickle jars are now filled with other goods, such as nuts, granola and coffee.  The bathrooms are becoming more organized, tossing bobby pins and cotton swabs into their topless glass homes.  I even scavenged for more during trips to the recycling center, to be used at our wedding.  And I love it.

What things are you known for obsessively repurposing?

2 comments:

  1. I repurpose the plastic bag that comes inside cereal boxes. I gently pull apart the seams until it's a rectangle, then use it to roll out pie crust or bread dough. It works better than wax paper because it's much thicker.

    A few more things I obsessively save are tissue paper from gift bags, freshly ironed to give them new life, and any kind of scrap (ribbon or stationery) that I can use to make cards.

    Enjoying your blog, Alexis. Keep it up!
    ~ Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also save glass jars, they are wonderful at the holidays if you make up a batch of dry ingredients for bread, browies, hot chocolate etc, put the ingredients in layers in the jar with instruction on how to make it on the tag and poof, instant professional looking gift. I also same tissue paper (didn't know you could iron it, but I will now), old cards to use in scrapbooking, all my old ribbon, I don't buy store bough bows, I use wire edged ribbon so it can be used over and over, I often get my own ribbons back on packages from friends, very green. :) Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day even brighter and happier than it already was. I just love hearing what you have to say!